We are the UK's leading immigration specialists
OISC Accredited UK immigration lawyers
We've had over 5000 applications approved
Get the correct advice from qualified immigration experts
4.7 rating 414 reviews

Intra Company Transfer Visa

If you are considering applying for an Intra Company Transfer (ICT) visa in the UK, our team of OISC accredited immigration lawyers in Birmingham are here to assist.

We can assess your eligibility and provide practical assistance with your ICT visa application; both completing and submitting your application to the Home Office.

To enquire about our comprehensive support packages, contact our client care team on 0121 667 6530. 

Request a call back from our immigration experts

What is an Intra-Company Transfer Visa?

The Intra-Company Transfer Visa replaced the Tier 2 Intra-Company Transfer Visa in December 2020.

Generally, it is for skilled employees of multinational organisations who are being transferred to the UK in order to fill a relevant post in a branch of that company.

If you are an employee who is being transferred to the UK, you may be eligible for an Intra-Company Transfer (ICT) Visa.

Both your employer and you, the employee, must meet specific requirements in order to qualify for an ICT UK Visa.

For example, you must meet the minimum income requirement, which differs depending on which route you apply through.

Your intended role in the UK must be an eligible job, and your employer must hold a valid Sponsor Licence.

Our immigration solicitors in Birmingham are equipped with extensive knowledge and experience with the intricacies of intra-company visas.

If you require legal advice tailored to you and your needs – or practical assistance with the completion of UK visa applications – our team of dedicated immigration specialists are here to assist.

Contact us today on 0121 667 6530.

Immigration Advice Service 4.7 rating 414 reviews
Reviews.io Logo

Am I eligible for the Intra-Company Transfer Visa?

To qualify for an Intra-Company Transfer Visa, both you and your employer must meet specific requirements depending on your personal role and circumstances.

The ICT Visa is for individuals who have been offered a role in a UK branch of the organisation in which they are employed.

There are two distinct routes within the Intra-Company Transfer Visa. These are:

Intra-Company Transfer Visa

This visa replaces the Tier 2 (Intra-Company Transfer) Long-term Staff Visa

You will undergo this route if you are being transferred to a role in the UK branch of a multinational organisation.

To be eligible, you must have worked for the company for at least 12 months unless the organisation is paying at least £73,900 annually for the position – in this case the 12-month requirement doesn’t need to be met.

Intra Company Graduate Trainee Visa

This visa is the replacement of the Tier 2 (Intra-company Transfer) Graduate Trainee Visa.

If you are a graduate who is transferring onto a graduate trainee programme to take up a managerial or specialist role, this route is for you.

To qualify, you must have recently graduated and have at least 3 months of experience with your employer overseas.

How do I prove that my employer is a valid sponsor?

Before applying for this visa route, your employer must sponsor you.

You must therefore be employed by a licensed sponsor who holds a valid Sponsor Licence.

To prove this, you must provide a Certificate of Sponsorship as part of your application.

A Certificate of Sponsorship is an electronic record detailing your personal information and an in-depth explanation of the job you have been offered.

Your sponsor will provide you with a Certificate of Sponsorship reference number, which you must include within your application.

What is the minimum salary requirement?

The minimum salary requirement for the Intra-Company Transfer Visa is dependent upon which route you take.

For the Intra-Company Transfer Visa, the minimum salary requirement is £41,500, while for a Graduate Trainee, the required salary is £23,000.

It is important to note, however, that your personal salary requirement may differ depending on the context of your application.

For example, if you are extending your Intra-Company Transfer Visa, the salary requirement may differ.

If you require legal advice and support with your ICT application, one of our immigration lawyers in Birmingham can assess your eligibility and provide a detailed step-by-step plan.


Get in touch with our expert immigration lawyers for help with the Intra-Company Transfer Visa Contact us

Fill out the form

Which documents do I need to provide in my ICT Application?

Within your Intra Company Transfer Visa application, you must provide the following documents:

  • A Certificate of Sponsorship reference number
  • Your passport or travel document
  • A bank/building society statement or letter which proves that you have enough personal savings (if required)
  • Any passport which has expired
  • Tuberculosis test results document (if you are from a listed country)

You must provide the original version of these documents; photocopies will not be accepted.

If your documents are not already in English or Welsh, you must ensure that they are translated before submitting them to the Home Office. However, both the translations and the original documents must be sent.

How much do I need in personal savings in order to qualify for the ICT Visa?

In order to demonstrate to the Home Office that you are able to financially support yourself while living in the UK, you must have a certain amount of savings.

You must provide that you have at least £1,270 in your bank account for 28 consecutive days prior to submitting your application for the Intra Company Transfer Visa.

However, there are circumstances where it is unnecessary to meet this requirement.

For example, if your sponsor can cover your costs up to £1,270 when you arrive in the UK, you do not need to have this amount in savings.

If this is the case, this should be specified on your Certificate of Sponsorship.

To discuss your personal circumstances and eligibility with an experienced, qualified immigration lawyer in Birmingham, use the online contact form to get in touch.

How long can you stay on an Intra-Company Transfer Visa?

The maximum stay depends on the type of visa you have and the length of time your employer intends to sponsor you.

Time allowed on Intra-Company Transfer Visa

You are permitted to stay for one of the following lengths of time, depending on which is shorter:

  • The time period specified on your Certificate of Sponsorship plus 14 days
  • Five years
  • The length of time that brings you to the total permissible period of stay

For this visa, the maximum permitted stay is:

  • If the employee is paid less than £73,900 per year, they may stay for five years in any six-year period
  • If the employee is paid less £73,900 or more per year, they may stay for nine years in any ten-year period

Time allowed on the Intra-Company Graduate Trainee Visa

You will normally be allowed to stay in the UK for whichever time is shorter:

  • The time issued on your Certificate of Sponsorship plus 14 additional days
  • 12 months
  • However long it takes to bring your total stay to the maximum allowable length

The total period of stay allowed on this visa is five years in any six-year period.

For legal advice and assistance with your ICT Visa application, call us today Learn more

Fill out the form

How to apply for ICT Visa

The application process is online-only and you are required to follow the online application process depending on which situation applies to your case:

  • You are outside the UK and intend to come to the country
  • You are inside the UK and you are applying to extend your visa
  • You are inside the UK and you are switching from another visa category

You will be required to submit a completed application form with the relevant supporting documents.

As well as this, you should pay the application fee as the main ICT visa applicant and for any dependents or dependent children, the healthcare surcharge (annually), and proof of your personal savings.

How much is the ICT Visa?

The cost of the visa depends on your circumstances (where you are applying for, and the type of visa).

Visa type Applying from outside the UK (price per applicant) Extending or switching inside the UK (price per applicant)
Intra-Company Transfer (up to three years) £610 £704
Intra-Company Transfer (more than three years) £1,220 £1,408
Intra-Company Graduate Trainee £482 £482

The cost of the healthcare surcharge is typically £624 annually.

Advice Package icon

Advice Package

Comprehensive immigration advice tailored to your circumstances and goals.

Application Package icon

Application Package

Designed to make your visa application as smooth and stress-free as possible.

Fast Track Package icon

Fast Track Package

Premium application service that ensures your visa application is submitted to meet your deadline.

Appeal Package icon

Appeal Package

Ensure you have the greatest chance of a successful appeal. We will represent you in any case.

Advice Package image

The Advice Package

During this untimed Advice Session with our professional immigration lawyers in London, you will receive our comprehensive advice, completely tailored to your needs and your situation.

Fill out the form

Request the Advice Package
Application Package image

The Application Package

With our Application Package, your dedicated immigration lawyer will advise you on your application process and eligibility. Your caseworker will then complete and submit your forms to the Home Office on your behalf.

Fill out the form

Request the Application Package
Fast Track Package image

The Fast Track Package

Our Fast-Track Application Package is a premium service for those who need to submit their application in time with their deadlines. Your case will become a top priority for our lawyers and you will benefit from our highest-quality services.

Fill out the form

Request the Fast Track Package

The Appeal Package

By choosing our Appeal Package, you can rely on our lawyers’ legal knowledge and experience to ensure you have the highest chance of a successful appeal. We will also fully represent you in any hearings/tribunals.

Fill out the form

Request the Appeal Package

If you wish to find out how you can transfer to the UK, our team is happy to assist. Learn more

Fill out the form

Related pages for your continued reading.

Frequently Asked Questions

If your application for the ICT visa is successful, you will be entitled to bring your family to reside with you in the UK as dependents.

This includes:

  • Your spouse or partner
  • A child under 18
  • A child over 18 if they’re currently in the UK as a dependent

However, dependents must meet particular requirements of their own.

Your partner will need to have at least £285 of their own funds, as well as £315 for the first dependent child and £200 for each additional child.

This money should be available to them at least 28 consecutive days before the date of application.

If your dependent is currently outside the UK – and they will therefore be applying from abroad – they must have their biometric data and photograph taken at a visa application centre.

If your family member is already residing in the UK, they may be eligible to extend or switch their current visa to become your dependent.

Our immigration lawyers in Birmingham are able to provide detailed legal advice and assistance with your ICT visa application, including the applications of your dependents.

For comprehensive advice and support, contact our client care team on 0121 667 6530.

Under the previous rules, it was not permitted to switch from the old Tier 2 ICT Visa to the old Tier 2 General Visa.

However, the new rules allow eligible applicants to switch from the ICT Visa to the Skilled Worker Visa.

There is no longer a cooling-off period required before switching to the visa, under the UK’s new immigration rules.

If you want to switch from ICT to the Skilled Worker route, you should demonstrate that you have the appropriate number of points (70) to be eligible.

There are other visa requirements involved and it can be complex to submit your application. If you need support, contact us for immediate help and advice.

The advantage of switching is that skilled worker migrants are eligible to apply for indefinite leave to remain (UK settlement) after a qualifying number of years, and potentially British citizenship.

You should receive a decision from the Home Office regarding your visa application within three weeks from the date it is received.

However, this may not always be the case – the time it takes to process your application largely depends on the complexities of your personal situation and whether your initial application contained the relevant and sufficient level of supporting documentation.

If you wish to get a decision within five working days, you may pay an additional £500 for the priority service. Or, for those who may be extremely limited on time, paying an extra £800 will allow you to receive a decision within just one working day.

If you hold the non-graduate trainee transfer visa, you can extend your visa. Alternatively, you may apply for another visa for the total length of time that brings you to your maximum permissible stay.

If you hold the graduate trainee transfer visa, you cannot extend it, but you can apply for another trainee transfer visa from outside the UK.