- Tier 1 Investor Visa overview
- Eligibility requirements
- Applying for a UK Investment Visa
- Tier 1 Investor Visa application fees
- Applying for a UK Investor Visa extension
- Required supporting documents
- Applying for Indefinite Leave to Remain
- Switching to a Tier 1 Investor Visa
- Investor Visa UK validity
- Tier 1 Investment Visa application process
- Frequently Asked Questions
What is a UK Investor Visa?
The Tier 1 Investor Visa is available for international applicants who have at least £2,000,000 in funds available to invest in active and trading UK businesses. To be valid, the funds must be held by a regulated institution, such as a bank or venture capital firm in the UK. Besides, the funds must be free to spend.
To be eligible for this visa, you must score 75 points, based on your personal conditions.
If you are an international investor and you wish to enter the UK, or if you need the help of an immigration professional, you can get in touch with our team by calling us at 0121 667 6530.
Who can apply for a Tier 1 Investor Visa?
You can apply for a Tier 1 (Investor) Visa if you:
- Intend to invest £2,000,000 or more in the UK
- Have access to at least £2,000,000 in investment funds
- Are from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland
- Meet all the eligibility requirements
What are the Tier 1 Investor Visa requirements?
To be eligible for a Tier 1 (Investor) Visa, you must:
- Be over the age of 18
- Be able to prove that your funds belong either to you or your partner
- Have opened an account at a UK regulated bank
- Have held your funds in one or more regulated financial institutions
- Have access to funds which are free to spend in the UK
How do I apply for an Investor Visa UK?
You must apply for a Tier 1 (Investor) Visa online. If your application is successful, you will need to have your biometrics (which is your fingerprints and photographs) taken at a visa application centre.
Your biometric residence permit must be collected within 10 days of when you intend to enter the UK.
What are the Investor Visa application fees?
It costs £1,623 to apply for a Tier 1 (Investor) Visa.
The fee is the same if you wish to extend or switch your immigration status, or if you are applying as a dependent family member.
Besides, you will also have to pay the healthcare surcharge as part of your application, depending on your personal circumstances.
How do I apply to extend my Investor Visa?
You can apply to renew your visa if you:
- Have access to at least £1,000,000
- Have invested at least £750,000 (or 75%) of your capital funds in UK government bonds, share capital or loan capital in active UK companies
- Have invested this sum within 3 months of your “investor start date”
You can include your dependants who are on your current Tier 1 Investors Visa so they can extend their permit even if they have turned 18 during their stay in the UK.
It costs £1,623 to extend your Tier 1 Investor Visa, and you will get your response from the Home Office within 8 weeks.
What documents do I need to apply for a UK Investor Visa?
Along with your application forms, you must provide a bundle of supporting documents, which should include the following:
- A current passport or other valid travel identification
- Your criminal record certificate from any country you have stayed for a total of 12 months or more, over the last 10 years
- Your tuberculosis test results (if applicable)
- Evidence showing that you have access to the required investment funds
- A certificate of marriage or civil partnership (if you are applying with your partner’s money)
- A letter from a UK regulated bank which confirms that you have a valid account and you can use your funds
Can I apply for UK settlement on a Tier 1 Investor Visa?
Yes, you can apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain after a certain amount of time spent in the country on an Investment Visa UK. This depends on the capital you invested in the UK, and it applies as it follows:
- You can apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain after 2 years if you invest £10 million
- You can apply to settle after 3 years if you invest £5 million
- You can apply to settle after 5 years if you invest £2 million
Can I switch to this Visa if I am already in the UK?
You can apply to switch to a Tier 1 Investor Visa if you meet the eligibility requirements and if you hold one of the following permits:
- Tier 1 (General)
- Tier 1 (Entrepreneur)
- Any Tier 2 Visa category
- Student Visa
If you are in a different category, you must leave the UK and submit your application from abroad. To get your new immigration status, you must apply before your current visa expires.
How long can I stay in the UK as an international investor?
A Tier 1 (Investor) Visa is valid for a maximum of 3 years and 4 months. Nevertheless, you can apply to extend your authorised stay for another 2 years if you still meet the eligibility requirements.
How long will it take to get my Tier 1 Investor Visa?
The earliest you can submit your application is 3 months before the date you intend to enter the UK. If your application is successful, you will receive a response from the Home Office within 3 weeks (if you submitted your forms from abroad). You can apply for the Home Office’s Priority or Super Priority services if you wish to get a faster decision.
Comprehensive immigration advice tailored to your circumstances and goals.
Designed to make your visa application as smooth and stress-free as possible.
Fast Track Package
Premium application service that ensures your visa application is submitted to meet your deadline.
Ensure you have the greatest chance of a successful appeal. We will represent you in any case.
The Advice Package
During this untimed Advice Session with our professional immigration lawyers in London, you will receive our comprehensive advice, completely tailored to your needs and your situation.
The Application Package
With our Application Package, your dedicated immigration lawyer will advise you on your application process and eligibility. Your caseworker will then complete and submit your forms to the Home Office on your behalf.
The Fast Track Package
Our Fast-Track Application Package is a premium service for those who need to submit their application in time with their deadlines. Your case will become a top priority for our lawyers and you will benefit from our highest-quality services.
The Appeal Package
By choosing our Appeal Package, you can rely on our lawyers’ legal knowledge and experience to ensure you have the highest chance of a successful appeal. We will also fully represent you in any hearings/tribunals.
You can bring your dependants with you, provided that they are either:
- Your husband, wife or partner
- Your children under 18
- Your children over the age of 8 who are currently in the UK as dependants
Any adult family member must provide a criminal record certificate for all the countries they have lived in for 12 months or more in the last 10 years.
From 29th March 2019, the requirements set for active and trading UK businesses to be eligible are as follows:
- Being registered with Companies House in the UK
- Being registered with HM, Revenue and Customs for corporation tax and PAYE
- Having accounts and a UK bank account
- Having at least 2 UK based employees (who are not registered as directors)
Your “investor start date” is either:
- The date you entered the UK (provided you have proof of this)
- The date your visa application was approved
- The date you officially switched from a different visa
If you hold a Tier 4 (General) Visa, you may be able to apply for a Tier 1 (Investor) Visa. To be eligible, you must have an unconditional agreement in writing from your financial sponsor to re-enter or stay in the UK. Besides, your course fees and living costs must have been paid by either a government or an international scholarship agency.
While in the UK, you cannot:
- Get public funds
- Work as a professional sportsperson or sports coach
- Work as a doctor or dentist in training, unless specific conditions apply