Birmingham Immigration Lawyers
0121 667 6530 (local rate)

Mon - Sun, 8.30 am - 8 pm

Find an office

10 offices in the UK

We are the UK's leading immigration specialists
OISC Accredited UK immigration lawyers
We've had over 5000 applications approved
Get the correct advice from qualified immigration experts
4.7 rating 414 reviews

UK Temporary Worker Visa

If you want to work in the UK on a short-term basis to undertake certain types of employment, you may be eligible for a Temporary Work Visa.

Call us on 0121 667 6530 for immediate help and assistance. We offer advice and application support in person, over the phone, or via online call.

    Request a call back from our immigration experts

    What is a Temporary Work Visa?

    The Temporary Work Visa is a type of UK Work Visa that is used by people who need to come to the UK to work in a temporary job.

    It replaced the old Tier 5 (Temporary Worker) Visa. Although some of the same categories exist in the new system, there are some key differences.

    Changes to the UK’s immigration system means that EU citizens who wish to work in the UK on a short-term basis must now apply for a Temporary Work Visa.

    The types of jobs a person is allowed to take on are limited, and there are several different sub-categories under this route. Someone with entry clearance under this route is usually prohibited from working in the role for longer than 12 months.

    To meet the requirements for this type of visa, applicants must have a job offer from a UK employer, who holds a Sponsor Licence. If they do not have this, they are not eligible to make an application. The sub-categories of this visa type have similar requirements, but they are industry/ sector-focused.

    The sub-category which differs the most is the Youth Mobility Scheme – which allows young people from certain countries to travel to the UK as job seekers, meaning they do not need to meet the same job offer requirement as the other temporary categories.

    You can find out more about this visa category by calling our team on 0121 667 6530.

    We can assist you by advising you on your eligibility, or overseeing your entire case for you. Get in touch now to find out more.

    Immigration Advice Service 4.7 rating 414 reviews
    TrustPilot Logo

    Temporary Work Visa categories

    There are different temporary work categories. The appropriate one for you depends on the kind of work you wish to undertake once you are in the UK. These are as follows:

    • Charity Worker Visa: this is for people who wish to work in unpaid and voluntary roles at a registered UK charity.
    • Creative and Sporting Visa: this is for highly-skilled sportspeople and creatives. A ‘creative’ is defined as a performer or artists (an example could be an actor or musician). A ‘sportsperson’ is defined as someone who is internationally recognised at the highest level of their sport.
    • Government Authorised Exchange: this is for nationals of countries that have signed an approved exchange scheme. Usually, people who use this scheme do work experience, training, or academic research in the UK. Others also take part in an Overseas Government Language Programme.
    • International Agreement Worker Visa: this is for workers whose job offer is covered by international law. For example, this might be embassy representatives or diplomats. These must be under the General Agreement on Trade in Services (GATS) programme.
    • Religious Worker Visa: this is for people who wish to undertake work as a preacher, or take on a role in a convent, monastery or other religious order in Britain.
    • Seasonal Worker Visa: for individuals seeking to come to the UK for up to six months for the purposes of farm work
    • Youth Mobility Scheme Visa: this is for individuals between the ages of 18 and 30 from certain countries who wish to take on work and/or intern in the UK.

    Temporary Work Visa general requirements

    There are several eligibility requirements that UKVI expects applicants to meet before they submit an application.

    In order to meet the general requirements, you must have:

    • A formal job offer from a UK employer that holds a valid Sponsor Licence.
    • A Certificate of Sponsorship that has been issued by your prospective employer.
    • A minimum of £1,270 in savings, which must be in your bank account at least 90 days before you submit your visa application.
    • The ability to meet the other eligibility requirements for your specific visa category.

    You may need to pass an English language test depending on your chosen category.

    You can do this by either passing an English language test with a certified provider or, if you have one, showing evidence of a degree that was taught in English.

    Sponsors of temporary workers are required to fulfil certain duties, including keeping your work documents up-to-date and being prepared for Home Office inspections.

    Creative and sporting requirements


    A creative worker is someone who works within the creative industry, including dancers, actors, models, film crew members, or musicians (as well as other roles). You can apply for this category if you are going to fulfil a role that could not have been filled by a domestic worker.

    Sponsors of creatives must prove that each person they wish you to sponsor for any show or project demonstrates a specialist skill that they cannot find elsewhere. For example, if they are a skilled ballet dancer, or they have been cast in a certain specific role.


    To be eligible for this route, a person must be either an athlete or coach. They must have represented their national team or country for at least two years previously, or have an established international reputation in their specific sport.

    Authorised government exchange and international agreements

    Authorised government exchange

    People who want to apply under this route come to the UK to learn new skills and take on work placements. This visa cannot be used for unskilled workers.

    Employers are not allowed to sponsor any workers under this category; sponsors can be an organisation overseeing an authorised exchange scheme, a higher education institution, or a government department or agency.

    International agreement

    This category is for people who need to come to the UK to provide a service covered by international law.

    This includes private servants in diplomatic households, embassy representatives, and employees of overseas governments.

    Get in touch with our expert immigration lawyers to learn how to apply for a Temporary Work Visa. Contact us

      Fill out the form

      Supporting documents

      There are several documents you need to provide to prove you are eligible for a Temporary Work Visa. These include:

      • Proof of an official job offer from a UK employer (such as an HR email or letter)
      • A Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS) that has been issued by your sponsor
      • Bank statements that show you have at least £1,270 in savings and that these were in your bank account at least 90 days before you made an application

      You may also need to show that you have completed and passed an English language test, depending on which subcategory you apply under.

      Youth Mobility Scheme

      You can apply for this scheme if you are between the ages of 18 and 30 and you are from a country that is listed as eligible for the scheme. This route allows you to stay in the UK for up to two years while job-seeking and working.

      Nationals from Australia, Canada, Japan, Monaco, New Zealand, Hong Kong, Republic of Korea, San Marino, and Taiwan are eligible for this scheme.

      The requirements dictate that applicants must have at least £2,530 worth of savings and that they cannot have travelled to the UK using any other type of working holiday visa in the past.

      Certificates of Sponsorship

      A Certificate of Sponsorship – also called a CoS – refers to a reference number that is linked to information about your prospective job and personal details. A CoS is not a physical paper document.

      You will need to submit your CoS when you make an application for a Temporary Work Visa (or when an employer makes an application on your behalf). This reference number is supplied to you by your employer and an application for a Temporary Worker Visa cannot be made without one.

      Your sponsorship number is valid for three months from the date it is assigned to you.

      You can usually use your Certificate of Sponsorship when leaving and returning to the UK during the course of your stay.

      Waiting time and application fee

      Waiting time

      From the date you submit your application to the date you receive a decision; you are likely to have to wait approximately eight weeks.

      The earliest you can apply for the visa is three months before the date you intend to start work. You can find this date on your Certificate of Sponsorship.

      Application fee

      The cost for the application for the majority of the Temporary Visas is £244. There is no difference based on whether you are inside or outside the UK.

      Advice Package icon

      Advice Package

      Comprehensive immigration advice tailored to your circumstances and goals.

      Application Package icon

      Application Package

      Designed to make your visa application as smooth and stress-free as possible.

      Fast Track Package icon

      Fast Track Package

      Premium application service that ensures your visa application is submitted to meet your deadline.

      Appeal Package icon

      Appeal Package

      Ensure you have the greatest chance of a successful appeal. We will represent you in any case.

      Advice Package image

      The Advice Package

      During this untimed Advice Session with our professional immigration lawyers in London, you will receive our comprehensive advice, completely tailored to your needs and your situation.

        Fill out the form

        Request the Advice Package
        Application Package image

        The Application Package

        With our Application Package, your dedicated immigration lawyer will advise you on your application process and eligibility. Your caseworker will then complete and submit your forms to the Home Office on your behalf.

          Fill out the form

          Request the Application Package
          Fast Track Package image

          The Fast Track Package

          Our Fast-Track Application Package is a premium service for those who need to submit their application in time with their deadlines. Your case will become a top priority for our lawyers and you will benefit from our highest-quality services.

            Fill out the form

            Request the Fast Track Package

            The Appeal Package

            By choosing our Appeal Package, you can rely on our lawyers’ legal knowledge and experience to ensure you have the highest chance of a successful appeal. We will also fully represent you in any hearings/tribunals.

              Fill out the form

              Request the Appeal Package

              Find out more about our immigration services for temporary workers. Learn more

                Fill out the form

                Related pages for your continued reading.

                Frequently Asked Questions

                Most types of Temporary Work Visas last for the period of time the role is required for. For example, if you need to come to the UK to take on a placement of four months, your leave to remain will be for four months. The maximum amount of time you can stay and work in the UK with a visa under this route is 12 months.

                There are exceptions to this. For example, the Youth Mobility Scheme allows holders to come to come to the UK for a set two-year period.

                Any non-British or non-Irish national can apply for a Temporary Work Visa as long as they can prove that they have a valid job offer which fits the category they are applying under. This must be from a UK-based institution and employer that holds a valid sponsor licence.

                A person must also be financially stable and must be able to prove that they have savings to support themselves before they receive their first wage from their employer. This should be to the sum of £1,270, and this must be present in their bank account at least 90 days before the application is made.

                The Skilled Worker and Temporary Worker Visas are both categories under the points-based system. The Skilled Worker Visa is different in that it is a form of semi-permanent type of work visa.

                Unlike Temporary Work Visas, the Skilled Worker route can also be used as a way to qualify for settled status and apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain, and potentially even British citizenship after some years.

                You are also permitted to extend the Skilled Worker Visa (if you meet eligibility requirements).

                But there are also some similarities between the two. Applicants for both routes need to have a job offer to apply, and they also need to be sponsored by their prospective employer. They also need to show they fulfil other similar criteria, like financial and English language requirements.

                As this type of visa is not permanent, you cannot use it as a route to indefinite leave to remain (ILR).

                The types of visa that can be used as qualifying time for this form of settlement include:

                A Temporary Visa can be used by performers and artists who want to work in the UK for projects, shows, and exhibitions.

                This can be done by applying under the Creative and Sportsperson category.

                If you are an artist and you need to hire a troupe of international creatives (such as if you are a director putting on a show in Britain, for example) you need to hold a Sponsor Licence and, when sponsoring workers, you need to prove to UKVI that every individual possesses specific, necessary skills.