Birmingham Immigration Lawyers
0121 667 6530 (local rate)

Mon - Sun, 8.30 am - 6 pm

Find an office

10 offices in the UK


We are the UK's leading immigration specialists
OISC Accredited UK immigration lawyers
We've had over 5000 applications approved
Get the correct advice from qualified immigration experts
4.7 rating 414 reviews

How to Check Settled Status

It may be necessary to check one’s immigration status for many reasons. Usually, a settled status check can be made using the online checking service.

For more information on how Birmingham Immigration Lawyers can help, call our friendly team of advisors on 0121 667 6530 or reach out to us online.

    Request a call back from our immigration experts

    Your Immigration Status

    There may be instances where you are required to prove your immigration status – for example, if you’re starting a new job and need to undergo checks from your employer. If so, then you can check and share your settled status or pre-settled status online.

    The process of checking your settled status is simple and straightforward. The online checking system from the government website allows an individual to do the following:

    • Access a ‘share code’ which allows you to prove your status of settlement to others, such as a new employer
    • Update any personal details in your UK Visas and Immigration account, such as your passport number, email address and telephone number
    • Check the rights you are entitled to in the UK during your settlement period or find out how you can claim benefits if you are eligible

    It’s essential that you know what your immigration status is and what it allows you to do in the UK. If you require any help with your immigration status or any other UK immigration issue, contact Birmingham Immigration Lawyers on 0121 667 6530 or reach out to us online.

    What Is Settled Status?

    Settled status allows an individual to live and work in the UK free of immigration control, often for an unlimited period of time.

    Settled status is an umbrella term for various routes to settlement in the UK used by the UK Visas and Immigration Service to determine somebody’s immigration status within the United Kingdom. The most common forms of settled status in the UK include indefinite leave to remain, EU settled status and pre-settled status through the EU Settlement Scheme, and permanent residence.

    Once You Have Applied For Settled Status: What Happens?

    After you submit your application for EU Settled or Pre-Settled Status, the Home Office will email you a letter detailing the result.

    If approved, you’ll either receive settled or pre-settled status. Generally, applications are processed within a span of five business days. If additional information is needed, the decision could take up to a month.

    Your UK residence status will be kept as an electronic record, meaning you won’t get a physical document to demonstrate your Settled or Pre-Settled status such as an EU Settled Status card.

    How Long Does Settled And Pre-Settled Status Last?

    If approved, the duration of your UK residence depends on the type of EU status you’ve received. With full EU Settled Status, you can stay in the UK indefinitely.

    However, you’ll need to make sure not to reside outside of the UK for more than five consecutive years, as doing so could result in the loss of your Settled status.

    On the other hand, if you have Pre-Settled Status, you are permitted to stay in the UK for up to five years.

    This period aims to provide you with enough time to qualify for Settled Status, for which a five-year residence in the UK is required. Consequently, it’s crucial to apply for Settled Status before your Pre-Settled Status expires.

    Using the Online Service to Check Settled Status

    In order to use the checking services to check your immigration status online, you will need the following:

    • Details of the identity document that was used to apply for settlement, such as your passport, national identity card, or a biometric residence permit/card
    • Your date of birth
    • Access to the mobile number or email address used to apply – this will allow you to obtain an access code to enter your account

    Once you have all of these, you will need to follow the steps on the online checking service and provide your personal details and the details of your identity document.

    Once you’ve completed these steps, you will be able to view details of your immigration status and also have access to a share code. This share code can be passed on to others for them to also see details of your immigration status.

    Note that you will only be able to use this specific service if you have a UKVI account. You will have a UKVI account if you either applied for the EU Settlement Scheme or applied for a visa and used the UK Immigration: ID Check app to prove your identity during the application process.

    Reach out to us for help with your settled status or immigration status in the UK Get in touch

      Request a call back from our immigration experts

      What If I Don’t Have a UKVI Account?

      If you don’t have a UKVI account, you won’t be able to use this specific online service to check your settled status. However, there are other ways you’ll be able to do so.

      For example, you will be able to prove your right to work to a prospective employer by using a separate online checking service. For this service, you will need to supply your biometric residence permit number, your biometric residence card number or your passport or national identity card.

      Using this service, you will be able to view details of the types of job you’re allowed to do and how long you can work in the UK for. You will also receive a share code to pass on to your employer.

      You may also have to prove your settled status if you’re looking to rent in England.

      Similarly to the process of proving your right to work, you can use a separate online checking service for this. You will need to provide details of your biometric residence card or permit and you will receive a share code that you will be able to pass on to someone else, such as a landlord or letting agent.

      Note that the right to rent only applies to England. You do not need to have specific rights to rent in Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland.

      How Can I Check Someone Else’s Settled Status?

      You may be in a situation where you’ll have to check someone else’s settled status, such as if:

      • You need to check someone’s specific immigration status
      • You’re an employer carrying out employment checks and you need to check someone’s right to work
      • You’re a landlord or agent carrying out rent checks on a prospective renter and you need to check their right to rent in England

      Note that there are three separate online services for each of the scenarios listed above. You will need to ensure that you’re using the right service in order to access the right information about the individual that you need.

      When you access these services, you will need to input the person’s share code and their date of birth. Note that share codes are normally valid for 90 days from the date that they’re generated.

      When you check someone else’s status online, you will be able to check if they have the right to live and work in the UK, as well as what kind of access they have to state benefits or services. If you’re checking someone’s right to work, you will be able to see what kind of work they’re eligible to carry out, and how long they can work in the UK for.

      What If I Don’t Have Someone’s Share Code?

      If you need to check someone’s right to work or right to rent in the UK, the easiest way of doing so will be by looking up their details through a share code.

      If you don’t have their share code or they’re not eligible to receive a share code using the online service, however, you will need to check their original documents to confirm their rights instead.

      You will need to make sure that you’re checking the correct specific documents for the individual to definitively prove that they have the right to work in the UK, or the right to rent in England.

      Birmingham Immigration Lawyers can help if you need to check someone’s right to work or rent in the UK. We can help guide you through the entire process and help ensure that your checks are fully compliant and thorough. Call us on 0121 667 6530 or reach out to us online for help.

      How to Check EU Settled Status For a Child

      Children obtain their own distinct status under the EU Settlement Scheme, separate from their parents. To verify your child’s EU Settled Status, utilize the same online service that adults use.

      Input either the email or phone number registered during the child’s application process.


      How Can Birmingham Immigration Lawyers Help?

      Settled status is often the end goal for many foreign nationals in the UK.

      If you’re in the UK as an EEA or Swiss citizen – or from elsewhere – and you need help with settled status – either checking it or attaining it, then Birmingham Immigration Lawyers are able to help.

      We are an expert team of legal professionals who are here to offer you expert advice on your immigration matter. Our team is committed to helping our clients achieve their immigration goals with concrete knowledge and empathy for their personal situations.

      Whether you’re outside the UK and looking for pathways to settled status, unsure of which visa route would be best for you, or just need additional reassurance for your application or specific immigration situation, we can help.

      For more information about our services and what we could do for you, call our friendly team of advisors today on 0121 667 6530 for immediate assistance or contact us online.

      You may be interested in reading about.

      Our lawyers can help you with anything regarding your settled status. Call us now

        Request a call back from our immigration experts

        Advice Package icon

        Advice Package

        Comprehensive immigration advice tailored to your circumstances and goals.

        Application Package icon

        Application Package

        Designed to make your visa application as smooth and stress-free as possible.

        Fast Track Package icon

        Fast Track Package

        Premium application service that ensures your visa application is submitted to meet your deadline.

        Appeal Package icon

        Appeal Package

        Ensure you have the greatest chance of a successful appeal. We will represent you in any case.

        Advice Package image

        The Advice Package

        During this untimed Advice Session with our professional immigration lawyers in London, you will receive our comprehensive advice, completely tailored to your needs and your situation.

          Request a call back from our immigration experts

          Request the Advice Package
          Application Package image

          The Application Package

          With our Application Package, your dedicated immigration lawyer will advise you on your application process and eligibility. Your caseworker will then complete and submit your forms to the Home Office on your behalf.

            Request a call back from our immigration experts

            Request the Application Package
            Fast Track Package image

            The Fast Track Package

            Our Fast-Track Application Package is a premium service for those who need to submit their application in time with their deadlines. Your case will become a top priority for our lawyers and you will benefit from our highest-quality services.

              Request a call back from our immigration experts

              Request the Fast Track Package

              The Appeal Package

              By choosing our Appeal Package, you can rely on our lawyers’ legal knowledge and experience to ensure you have the highest chance of a successful appeal. We will also fully represent you in any hearings/tribunals.

                Request a call back from our immigration experts

                Request the Appeal Package