We are the UK's leading immigration specialists
OISC Accredited UK immigration lawyers
We've had over 5000 applications approved
Get the correct advice from qualified immigration experts
4.7 rating 414 reviews

How long does it take to get a Fiancé visa?

The Fiancé visa is designed for individuals to come to the UK to marry or enter into a civil partnership with their partner. In this blog post, we discuss the application process and how long it might take to get your visa. Contact our client care team on 0121 667 6530.

Request a call back from our immigration experts

What is the UK Fiancé visa?

The Fiancé visa is specifically for those who are engaged to be married to their partner who is either British or settled in the UK. With this visa route, there are strict guidelines regarding when you must marry your partner.

It is a unique route in the immigration rules as it is solely used for people in a relationship to come to the UK to get married.

fiance visa minimum income requirement

What are the eligibility requirements for a Fiancé visa?

The key requirements are as follows:

  • Both you and your partner must be aged 18 years or over;
  • You must intend to marry within 6 months of your arrival in the UK;
  • You can prove that any past relationships have broken down permanently
  • You must be able to prove that your relationship is sincere (this includes providing evidence that you have met in person)
  • Your partner (who acts as your sponsor) must be a British citizen or living with Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK
  • You and your partner are both legally free to marry, and your marriage would be lawful
  • You have suitable accommodation arranged for you and your partner to live in together permanently, along with any dependents
  • You meet the English language requirement
  • You meet the financial requirement (this proves that you will not rely on public funds throughout the duration of your stay in the UK)


Can I stay in the UK on a Fiancé visa?

A Fiancé visa only grants the holder six months of limited leave in the UK. The visa is designed solely to allow a partner to join their other half with a plan to get married and then to stay in the country to build a life together.

This is the important difference between a Fiancé visa and a Marriage visitor visa for example. The visitor visa option is designed for a couple to marry only in the UK with a plan to leave the UK afterwards. You cannot extend the Fiancé visa after the initial six months.


How long does the application for a Fiancé visa take?

You must apply online via the government website.

To get a Fiancé visa, you can only apply from outside of the UK. This means the application may take a little longer than applying from inside the UK. Usually, you will hear back from the Home Office after around 12 weeks.

Sometimes, it can take longer if there are some complications with your application. For example, this could mean you cannot meet the required English language level or you cannot prove you meet the income requirement.

Once you have your decision letter, your biometric permit will take a further 7-10 days to arrive.

How much does it cost?

The fee for making an application from outside the UK is £1523. If you need to add dependents to your application, here will be an additional fee of £1523 per person. If there is another adult that will be in your care that needs to be added to your application, this will cost an additional £3250.

You will also be required to pay £19.20 for your biometric information to be taken, meaning your fingerprints and photographs, as well as the healthcare surcharge for while you are in the UK.

Do you need immigration advice?

Getting married is one of the biggest events in a person’s life. Our Birmingham Immigration Lawyers can provide top-quality immigration advice services to ensure your immigration needs do not get in the way of your special day.

We have decades of experience across multiple areas of immigration law, and can offer remote advice sessions, as well as full application packages, document checking and more. If you are looking to marry your partner in the UK on a Fiancé visa, apply for a Spouse visa, or any other visa category, speak to our professional and dedicated team of immigration lawyers today on 0121 667 6530. 

person signing a document