Why apply for a British passport?
If you have chosen to become a British citizen, as a foreign national, you will need to apply for a British passport to travel. It is a powerful document, providing you with unrestricted access to the UK and smooth travel to many countries without immigration controls. It can also serve as proof of identity, and enable the holder to apply for benefits, work, and proof of the right to live permanently in the UK.
Before you apply for British citizenship, you should also check your own country’s policy on dual citizenship and whether you need to make any applications to retain your birth nationality. The UK allows dual citizenship, so you can apply for British citizenship as well as retaining citizenship of another country, and hold two passports. Then if you are travelling from the UK and internationally you can use your British passport , or whichever option provides the easier travel option.
What do I need to apply for a British passport?
It is essential you only apply for a British passport after you have applied for British citizenship, as you will need to present your naturalisation certificate to apply.
The following are some of the general documents you will need to apply:
- Personal identity documents to confirm your name
- Your naturalisation certificate – showing you are now a British citizen
- The passport you used to come to the UK on
- You’ll also need additional things, like a digital photo, if you apply for your passport online (more on that below)
The documents you need will be slightly different depending on your personal circumstances. For example, if you if have applied for citizenship with one parent who was born in the UK, you will need:
- your full birth certificate showing your parents’ details
- your father’s birth certificate
- your parents’ marriage certificate
- the passport you used to come into the UK or foreign passport you’re included on
Any documents that are not in English or Welsh you will need to pay to have them translated.
You may also need to attend a short interview with the Home Office if there is anything they wish to check over with you. Generally these will be no longer than 30 minutes, but you will still need to wait for your passport to be mailed to you.
How long will the process take?
Applying for permanent residence and then citizenship in the UK is a long process; the application for your first adult British passport is no different.
Generally, you should allow up to 10 weeks for your passport application to process, according to the gov.uk website. Other sources say around 6 weeks, but it is always best to allow as much time as possible if you are planning on travelling. You will need to send your current valid travel documentation with your application, and so it’s important not to book any travel until you have received your new British passport.
Depending on the circumstances, if you need to travel urgently, you may be able to get your passport quicker. For urgent medical treatment or family bereavement, you should call the Passport Advice Line. For urgent travel for any other reason, you can apply for a Fast Track service for a passport within three weeks. You will also need to attend an appointment at your local passport office as part of the service.
How do I ensure a quick process?
When applying for your passport, there are a few things that can ensure you have as little delays as possible. Things to watch out for are:
- Ensuring you have names that match on all your documentation and your passport
- If your name has previously been changed, use only your new name
- List all of your maiden/previous names
- Provide details of any previous UK passports you have held
- Have as much documentary evidence as possible and have them all ready to send – they will be returned to you after the application process is complete
How do I apply?
There are a couple of different application processes you can take your pick from. Applying online is generally the more efficient and quicker option, but you can also apply via post for your passport.
- Apply online – you can do so via the government website. You’ll need
- A digital photograph to confirm your identity
- Someone to confirm your identity
- A credit or debit card to pay
- All your relevant supporting documents
This will cost your £75.50. Applying with a paper form will cost you slightly more – £85.
- Apply by post – this process has a lot more steps to carry out. You’ll need:
- A filled in application form – from a post office that does the Check and Send Service
How can Birmingham Immigration Lawyers help?
Our expert team of immigration lawyers in Birmingham can help you put together a British citizenship and British passport application.
Call our friendly team for an appointment on 0121 667 6530.
Comprehensive immigration advice tailored to your circumstances and goals.
Designed to make your visa application as smooth and stress-free as possible.
Fast Track Package
Premium application service that ensures your visa application is submitted to meet your deadline.
Ensure you have the greatest chance of a successful appeal. We will represent you in any case.
The Advice Package
During this untimed Advice Session with our professional immigration lawyers in London, you will receive our comprehensive advice, completely tailored to your needs and your situation.
The Application Package
With our Application Package, your dedicated immigration lawyer will advise you on your application process and eligibility. Your caseworker will then complete and submit your forms to the Home Office on your behalf.
The Fast Track Package
Our Fast-Track Application Package is a premium service for those who need to submit their application in time with their deadlines. Your case will become a top priority for our lawyers and you will benefit from our highest-quality services.
The Appeal Package
By choosing our Appeal Package, you can rely on our lawyers’ legal knowledge and experience to ensure you have the highest chance of a successful appeal. We will also fully represent you in any hearings/tribunals.