- What is a Global Talent Visa?
- Who can apply?
- Eligibility requirements
- Documents required
- Decision time
- Partner and children
- How to get endorsement
- Endorsement rejected
- Application process
- Extend your visa
- Advantages of Global Talent Visa
- Can you switch visa?
- How can we help?
- Frequently asked questions
What is a Global Talent Visa?
The Global Talent Visa has replaced the previous Tier 1 (exceptional talent) visa. It allows a path of entry into the UK for those who work in specific industries. The global talent route has become significantly popular, with applicants having to fill stringent eligibility guidance to meet the exceptional talent criteria or to be able to show exceptional promise.
Typically, the first step of the process to acquire a Global Talent Visa involves receiving an endorsement from one of the six official endorsement associations. You can do this by submitting an endorsement application.
For applicants seeking an official Global Talent Visa endorsement from an endorsing body in a field such as Science, Medicine, Engineering, Social Science, or humanities, you will be required to demonstrate your eligibility to either The British Academy, The Royal Academy of Engineering, The Royal Society, or UK Research or Innovation (UKRI).
Tech Nation and Arts Council England are the regulatory bodies that handle requests from non-academic arts, digital technology, and culture.
For those deemed as eligible for academic and research, there are four possible routes of entry, which include: endorsed funders, peer review, research appointments, and individual fellowships.
Who is able to apply for a Global Talent Visa?
To apply for a Global Talent Visa, you must be over the age of 18 years old. You must be considered to have exceptional talent- as a leader, or to show exceptional promise- as a potential future leader in one of the following industry fields:
- Arts and Culture
- Academia and Research
- Digital Technology
You must apply to the correct endorsement body to get an endorsement letter outlining your suitability for a Global Talent Visa in a specific field. These fields can include, engineering, science, medicine, humanities, architecture, film, TV, or fashion.
To apply, you must be a 70-point requirement through at least one of the following methods:
- You have been awarded a prize listed on the immigration rules under the prestigious prizes category
- You are submitting an initial application with an official endorsement. The date of the application must not be any longer than 3 months after the date on the endorsement letter
- You can apply for an extension provided you meet the minimum earning requirements
Global Talent Visa eligibility requirements
You must meet the eligibility criteria to apply for a Global Talent Visa. The specific eligibility criteria you must meet may depend on the field in which you are wishing to receive an endorsement. You must be an exceptional talent or meet the exceptional promise criteria.
Below each sector is outlined with its relevant requirements for an eligible applicant.
Science, medicine, engineering, and humanities
- You must be an industry leader or an active researcher in your field. This must be through an eligible organisation or company
- To demonstrate your exceptional talent, you must be able to show an award or body of work with media coverage from at least two countries
- You must obtain three letters of recommendation
Arts and Culture
- You must show exceptional promise or exceptional talent(with evidence from a minimum of one country)
- At least five years of professional engagement- this must be consistent
- You must be able to demonstrate your professional engagement through the means of producing outstanding, creative works of art
- You should hold a good track record of your work within at least one country
- Three official letters of recommendation from authorised organisations
- If you are applying as a digital technology business applicant, you must have proof of a commercial investment or expertise in product development
- If you are applying as a technical applicant in the field of digital technology, you must show proof to Tech Nation of a high level of competency in building technical infrastructure
- You must provide an up to date CV with a clear outline of your career achievements in the digital technology field so far
- Global talent applicants must provide three letters of recommendation from authorised organisations in the digital technology industry- Tech Nation will look at how you have previously performed in the field
Fashion and Design
- Can demonstrate five years of professional engagement within the fashion industry as a leading body with exceptional talent
- If you are applying on the grounds that you show exceptional promise, you should provide proof of media coverage or sponsorship from a recognised fashion organisation
- Three letters of recommendation from authorised organisations to show bodies such as Arts Council England you are suitable for the Global Talent Visa category
Film and Television
- You should have won a mainstream award or must have been nominated for one in the last ten years (BAFTA, Academy Award or Golden Globe, etc)
- Global talent applicants should present three letters of recommendation from authorised organisations
What documents are required for a Global Talent Visa?
Global Talent Visa applicants are required to submit a selection of required documents in conjunction with their Global Talent Visa application. The documents you need to submit will again depend on the endorsing body you are applying to.
Arts and Culture
- Three recommendation letters
- A maximum of ten documents that prove your notable achievements to Arts Council England
- An up to date CV that outlines your achievements
- Proof of an established digital technology business
- A maximum of ten documents that demonstrate your skills and qualifications in your sector
- Three letters of recommendation which confirm your ability as an industry leader in the digital technology field
Researcher and Academic leader
- A letter to UK Research and Innovation (UKRI) coming from the head of HR in your organisation that gives an outline of how you acquired the role, your duties, and the nature of your role
- Details of your work and outstanding achievements
- A confirmation letter stating how you could excel and contribute in a UK-based job role- this must come from an industry leader who is able to state how they know you
- You must be able to show confirmation that you will be receiving a grant of at least £30,000 from your funder- this must able to last at least two years
Along with the documents for your specified field, you will be required to submit your valid passport and tuberculosis test results to the home office in support of your Global Talent Visa application.
How much does a talent visa cost?
Typically, the Global talent visa application will cost you £623. For those applying on the basis of endorsement of exceptional talent or promise, you will pay the total amount in the following two installments:
- £456 for the application for the endorsement
- £167 for the visa application itself
For those applying based on an eligible award, you will pay the full balance of £623 upfront.
In addition, applicants are required to pay a healthcare surcharge of around £624 per person they are applying for.
For Global Talent Visa applicants including a partner or children in their application, they will each need to pay an additional £623.
You can check the amount you will need to pay before you apply.
How long until you receive a decision on a talent visa application?
Those applying for a Global Talent Visa can expect to hear back from authorities within up to three weeks of submitting their application, however, this can vary during busier periods.
You can apply for a Global Talent Visa up to three months before you intend to commence work in the UK. For those wishing to speed up the application process, you can opt for a priority service which will accommodate the requirement for a faster decision. However, this will come at an extra cost.
It is essential to ensure that you submit the required documents to the Home Office in full in the first instance of applying, as withholding documents or not supplying the correct information could delay your Global Talent visa application.
strong>Can you bring your partner and children?
Those who anticipate obtaining endorsement and a Global talent visa may be able to bring their partner and children provided that they meet eligibility requirements on being dependant.
A dependant is classed as any of the following:
- A husband, wife, civil or unmarried partner
- A child under 18 years old- including if they were born within the UK during your stay
- A child over the age of 18 years old if they are in the UK as your dependant
For each dependant you include as part of your Global Talent Visa, you must be able to demonstrate proof of your relationship with them.
If your child is aged 16 or over, they must fit within the following scenarios:
- They must live with you (unless they are boarding in full-time education)
- They must not be married or have any children of their own
- They must be supported by you without the use of public funds
You will be required to submit two of the following documents on behalf of any children as proof that they live with you:
- Driving licence
- Bank statement
- credit card/ utility bills
- NHS registration documents
- Official letters from educational facilities
These must be official documents and not photocopies.
You must be able to prove the following:
- That you are in a marriage or civil partnership that is recognised by the UK
- You must have been living together in a relationship for at least two years before applying for the talent visa
As mentioned earlier, any dependants you plan to bring to the UK with you once you are granted a Global Talent Visa must also pay the full application process fee and healthcare surcharge fees.
How can you obtain endorsement?
Receiving endorsement for a Global Talent Visa can seem complex at first. Once you have figured out eligibility requirements, you will need to decipher the specific criteria of requirements for the relevant endorsement body.
You will be able to find the correct requirements for each endorsing body below:
- Tech Nation
- Arts Council of England
- The Royal Society
- Royal Academy of Engineering
- The British Academy
- UK Research and Innovation
Once you have an endorsement letter from one of the approved endorsing bodies, you can go on to submit your Global Talent Visa application to the Home Office.
Endorsement application rejected
If your endorsement application is rejected there may be an opportunity for an endorsement review. If this is the case, it could be advantageous to seek assistance from a trained immigration lawyer.
You can submit an endorsement review to the Home Office for reconsideration. The Home Office will consult with the appropriate endorsing body on your behalf before returning with an outcome.
You must file for a review within 28 days of the endorsing bodies decline to ensure you can get a reconsideration.
The application process for a Global Talent Visa
The application process to being granted a Global talent visa can be very intricate. Before you can even consider applying to the Home Office you must have an endorsement from an endorsement body or have won an eligible award in your field.
Once you have received an endorsement letter from the endorsing body, you can apply for your talent visa if the following scenarios apply to you:
- You have been endorsed by an appropriate endorsing body, approved by the Home Office
- You are applying within three months of obtaining your letter of endorsement
- The endorsement has not been withdrawn by the endorsement body
You can then apply online using the Global Talent Visa application along with the documents you need to supply to the Home Office.
Dependant partners and children of a Global Talent Visa holder will have to apply separately to Global Talent visa holders.
Can you extend your Global Talent visa?
Global Talent visa holders are able to extend their visa provided they meet the eligibility requirements to do so. Global Talent visas do not have a limit on how many times they can be renewed.
In order to proceed with renewal, those who have taken the global talent route must be able to demonstrate that they have earned sufficient money in their expert field during their time in the UK.
Each successful application for an extension will allow you up to five years of additional stay within the UK. You must, however, apply to extend your Global Talent visa before it is due to expire.
For those who want to stay longer in the UK, you may be able to gain Indefinite Leave to Remain after five years of residency. This will allow you to live, study and work in the UK for as long as you wish to.
Extensions for family members must be made separately.
How will a Global Talent Visa be advantageous?
There are ample advantages to acquiring a Global Talent visa in the UK. The flexibility and decreased cost have the global talent route increasingly popular amongst those with exceptional talent or exceptional promise.
Some of the advantages are as follows:
- You have the freedom to switch jobs and expand your career repertoire unlike that of a skilled worker visa holder
- You are able to establish long term residence within the UK after three to five years of staying there
- You are not required to obtain a Certificate of Sponsorship nor does your employer have to have a sponsor licence
- A fast endorsement application process means it is an efficient way to access the UK
- Global Talent visa holders have the opportunity to choose the length of their visa
Can you switch to a Global Talent visa from a different UK visa?
It may be possible to switch from a certain UK visa to a Global Talent visa. To do so, you must meet the eligibility criteria set out above along with the requirements from one of the six approved endorsing bodies.
You must apply for a visa change before your current visa expires. Also, any children or partners must apply to change too.
There are some instances where you are not permitted to apply to switch to a Global Talent visa, these are:
How can Birmingham Immigration Lawyers help?
The process of acquiring a UK Global Talent Visa can be complex due to the multiple steps involved in getting an endorsement application before reaching out to the Home Office. The global talent route remains highly popular, but for increased chances of success, an immigration lawyer can assist you.
Our trained immigration lawyers have experience in UK Global Talent Visa and endorsing body application protocol and are ready and waiting to help you every step of the way, from the endorsement application to extending your visa once granted. Birmingham immigration lawyers have an excellent track record of helping talented and promising individuals access a talent visa and reach their full potential.
For more information on how we can help you with the Global Talent visa route, call our friendly team today on 0121 667 6530.
Comprehensive immigration advice tailored to your circumstances and goals.
Designed to make your visa application as smooth and stress-free as possible.
Fast Track Package
Premium application service that ensures your visa application is submitted to meet your deadline.
Ensure you have the greatest chance of a successful appeal. We will represent you in any case.
The Advice Package
During this untimed Advice Session with our professional immigration lawyers in London, you will receive our comprehensive advice, completely tailored to your needs and your situation.
The Application Package
With our Application Package, your dedicated immigration lawyer will advise you on your application process and eligibility. Your caseworker will then complete and submit your forms to the Home Office on your behalf.
The Fast Track Package
Our Fast-Track Application Package is a premium service for those who need to submit their application in time with their deadlines. Your case will become a top priority for our lawyers and you will benefit from our highest-quality services.
The Appeal Package
By choosing our Appeal Package, you can rely on our lawyers’ legal knowledge and experience to ensure you have the highest chance of a successful appeal. We will also fully represent you in any hearings/tribunals.
There is no requirement for English language ability when applying for a Global Talent Visa. You can apply with any level of English at all. However, if after a certain period of time you choose to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain, you will be required to take an English language test.
What needs to be included on a recommendation letter?
A recommendation letter should come from a person of senior status within an organisation where you have excelled in your field. Ideally, it should include the following elements:
- Details of the author’s status in the company
- Details of how the author knows the applicant
- An outline of what the applicant has achieved in their specified field. This can include awards, media coverage, and any other outstanding achievements
- How the applicant would benefit from living in the UK on a global talent visa
- An outline of how the applicant can excel and contribute to their expert field in the UK
It can take up to 28 days for the relevant body to process your application and issue you with a letter of endorsement. This is provided that you submit all of the correct documents in a timely manner. If the body have to chase you or follow up on documents, it can add a delay to getting a final decision.